10 Practicable Ways to Love Yourself and be Happy
Get the African Print Joggers here.
Loving one’s self is an important, yet forgettable act many people don’t practice. We try our best possible to love and care for others, be there for them when they need us, go out of our way to make them happy, but when it comes to doing same for ourselves, we don’t see the need.
Perhaps, this may because many see loving themselves as being selfish or egoistical. We have been taught to put others first, to seek their happiness; that only then, can we be happy. But the truth is, caring for others at the expense of your own wellbeing is dangerous. Not only will you feel frustrated at some point, you may start feeling resentment towards such people. Plus you will never be the best version of yourself. This is why loving yourself should be a top priority this year because when you are happy and in love with yourself, only then can you share the same feeling with others.
So, in what practical ways should you love yourself this year? Let’s dive in!
10 Special Ways to Practise Self-Love
- Stop comparing yourself with others. You are special and different from everyone around you. Look away from what makes you feel less and focus and appreciate your own journey.
- Have a positive mindset. Start every day with what gives you a fresh and pleasant perspective. Even when things don’t go the way you plan, think of other ways to achieve your goal.
- End toxic relationships. Cut away from anyone that makes you feel less than amazing about yourself. Surround yourself only with people who remind you of how awesome you are.
- Learn to say ‘NO’. Being a people-pleaser and saying ‘yes’ all the time will still not make everyone love you. Plus, when you say ‘no’ sometimes, you are able to navigate your life on your own terms.
- Forgive yourself when you make a mistake. Don’t be hard on yourself when you get it wrong. No one is perfect. Learn the lesson and move on.
- Take good care of your health. Eat healthy, balanced diet; exercise regularly; get enough sleep; avoid drugs and alcohol and practise good hygiene.
- Do something you enjoy. Take breaks from work to relax and have fun. Watch a favourite movie, play games, read a book, dance, do some yoga, get a manicure or pedicure – anything that makes you happy and take some stress off you.
- Celebrate the small and big wins of your life. Yes! As much as you celebrate others when they achieve a milestone, do same for yourself.
- Don’t let what others think or say about you affect how you live. You cannot please everyone. Live your best life while you have it.
- Invest in looking good. Have you ever worn a great dress or shirt and felt good about yourself? There is a relationship between what you wear on the outside and how you feel on the inside. Give yourself some love by getting that gorgeous outfit you secretly stare at and admire while window shopping. You deserve to be happy.
Got more tips you want to share with us? Please do in the comments.